Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Notes for Sunday December 21, 2008

Read: Luke 1

A person said to me the other day, “the devil is in the details.” It is a common way of sharing feelings of uncertainty and disorder in the world around us. Being a big picture guy, I often struggle with details. If you are like me you simply want to move forward and not hassle with the fine print. I get bogged down, feeling like I am just hacking my way through the rain-forest of life. Fine motor skills were never given high marks on my report card.

The other side of the same coin reflects those who not only enjoy, but encourage interaction with the details of life. These folks are wonderfully made to work within a project, moving with the moments of a season. They reflect the fullness of God in the handiwork of God’s glory. As much as I struggle with the details, these persons soar in the same environment and it is beautiful to watch.

God is surely in the midst of the details, not the devil. For I find that when I am willing to let go of my fear and need to control the details of the environment around me, I experience God. Over and over my experience of Christmas has been one of God’s in-breaking through or even over the top of the mountain of details to offer peace, grace, and hope.

I pray this is also your experience of Christmas. Not so much one of a baby in a manger, but of a risen Christ who calms the wind and waves. Not so much of a present colorfully wrapped under a green tree, but of a sense of belonging and hopeful anticipation for God’s reign on earth to reclaim all that is born of the darkness. After all, God is in all the details.

Here are my sermon points for next Sunday based on writing by B.W. Johnson, 1891:
"In the angel's message we have, (1) An assurance, Fear not. (2) A promise, Thou shalt bring forth a son. (3) A command, Thou shalt call his name Jesus. (4) A prophecy, He shall be great, the Son of the Highest, sit on David's throne, reign forever."


Worship Next Week
Scripture: Luke 1:26-38
Sermon Title: “God is in the Details”

No comments: