Saturday, December 15, 2012

My Christmas Wish


The news report staggers us to defend our days.  We find violence overtaking our ability to understand.  We shake our heads and scuff the soles of our shoes on the gravel path.  Good days, summer days of joy and celebration can feel distant, even corrupt. 

Perhaps I should just go shopping and try to fill the cart, fill my heart.  Perhaps I should just eat or drink something, something rich and filling, after all it is Christmas.   Perhaps I should get some sleep, preferable during the day, and slowly withdraw from obligations and relationships.

Look at the picture, look into their eyes and become aware of what they know.  What is real?  What is truth?

 My wish is for good news.

My wish is to give like never before.  Help someone yet unknown.  Seek the mystery of the season as if life depends upon it.  Look into people’s eyes, really look and see their hearts.  Hug the children in ways that bless and sanctify their lives.  Feel the pain, lean into the joy, remember what is lost, and conceive a new grace offered by the season without notice or price.  

Now go.

1 comment:

Joshua Brown said...

Thanks for your post. We must continue shining God's light into our children and those around us even when the darkness seems to be all around.