Monday, May 09, 2005

Random Thoughts

  • I do not remember seeing the Soft Maple trees dropping so many seeds as this year. I could scoop them off my sidewalk and driveway. I call them helicopters, because they spin on the way to the ground. When I was a kid there was a way to put one in your mouth and use it for a whistle. For all I know they are poison or something, so don't try this. So why so many seeds this year? Any ideas? I'll ask Sharon Davis, she was a forestry major in college.

  • We used to take a blade of tall grass between our thumbs and blow to make a whistle. I know grass is not poison. At least most of it.

  • Put the garden in over the weekend. Planted white, yellow, and red onions. Planted broccoli and tomatoes. Planted carrots and radishes. Did not plant the beans, or the cucumbers, or the okra yet. They need more warm weather. When we do plant them they will just bust out in a couple days. Hard to be patient.

  • The wrens have arrived and are making homes in the box at the garden and also considering the box on the patio. Last summer we had three broods in on the patio. They were a little messy at times, but were good company and talked to us every day.

  • It was nice to have family home for mother's day. Tate and Issy (grandkids) are both growing so fast. Hope you all had a wonderful mother's day! We grilled some chicken and just relaxed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about the seeds. Usually there's a cycle to seed production and this must be a prolific year. I remember the year that hickory nuts were plentiful I haven't seen that since. That year almost all our cookies etc that needed nuts were made with hickory nuts instead of black walnuts.

On grass being poisenous--my dad had a habit of chewing on a blade of fox grass. One year he got really sick and had to go to the hospital. His lungs were just black. The doctor said he must be quite the smoker. My dad had never smoked. It turns out a fungus from the grass had gotten into his lungs and was making him really sick. No more chewing on blades of grass for us.