Tuesday, November 27, 2007

SErmon Thoughts for Sunday December 09, 2007

Luke 1 The Songs of Christmas Second Sunday in Advent

Hey, I thought singing was simply opening my mouth and pushing out more air; kind of like talking on steroids. But if you study singing you find out there is a whole lot going on and happening at the same time. Singing is an act of coordination between several parts of your body, not just a bunch of hot air moving somewhere in a hurry. Posture, correct breathing, resonance, voice registers, and health of the vocal cords are all a part of the ability to sing. So are tone, focus, tempo, interpretation, diction, enunciation, and even stuff like how you end your vowels. Man, singing is tough, hard work; who knew!

They say singing is good for the soul. They say singing lowers blood pressure. They say singing everyday is good for our mental health. They say God created us with the most amazing instrument for making music. I have seen tough guys in the movies singing on the trail, singing in the rain, singing about the moon, singing about a dog or a horse, and yes singing about a girl. Clint Eastwood even sang to a tree in a movie once. Sometimes when folks sing, I cry. The lady sitting beside me at “The Lion King” last year must have thought I was a real loser because I could not stop my eyes from sweating. While I am on the subject, doesn’t everyone sing in the car? Yeah, me too.

Sometimes I just feel like singing. I did not say I was good at it, or even really understand how it happens, I just feel like it. Some days singing is easy, like eating an ice cream cone. Some days singing is tough; like at my dad’s funeral. But I sang that day, sort of.

This is the season for singing. We are singing fools at Christmas. This is the best reason to sing. The God of the universe has come to save us from our sin. So, as you find yourself singing all the non-Christmas Christmas songs (you know what I mean) be sure to add in a chorus of Away in the Manger, Silent Night, Joy to the World, It Came Upon A Midnight Clear, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Mary Did You Know, or my favorite; O come All Ye Faithful. See if all that singing hard work does move you just a little closer to home.
Blessings, Dave Weesner

Sunday Worship
Scripture: Luke 1:34-38
Sermon Title: “I Feel Like Singing”

No comments: