Monday, September 29, 2008

Notes for Sunday October 12, 2008

Read: I Timothy

Some have asked if I was planning to preach on upcoming presidential election. I said no. They wondered about my preferences and ideas. I said it would not be in the best interest of the kingdom of God to use the pulpit to share my personal thoughts. Our non-profit status also assumes we will not choose sides in the political debate. However, just because we are considered a non-profit, I sincerely hope we are also not considered a non-prophet organization. As I considered my role, our congregation, and the national figures on voter registration, I have changed my mind and decided to preach about the election.

Now before you go red or blue on me, let me assure you I will be attempting to offer a prophetic voice in regards to the Christian responsibility in voting. I will not be lifting one party or one candidate over another. As Christians, there are just some things we should be clear about before we go into the last weeks of an election which will lead us into a new place in our history as a nation.

I am looking forward to an interesting sermon. You can e-mail or text me your thoughts to the following question this week as I prepare. As a Christian, what is our responsibility in voting? I trust God the answer will bring us all just a little closer to home.

Worship Next Week
Scripture: I Timothy 2:1-2
Sermon Title: “A Word on Voting”

No comments: