Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"New for Easter"

New!
I am thinking: What do I really know about New?

I know the Smell of New.
New plastic swimming pool,
New leather boots,
New hay stacked in a barn.

I know the Feel of New
New haircut on a Saturday night,
New dollar bill, stiff and crisp,
New skin over an old scar.

I know the Look of New
New moon in the sky,
New car in the showroom,
New tooth just breaking the skin.

I know the Sound of New.
New calf’s First gargling breath,
New guitar strings stretching into tune,
New gravel on the road home.

Maybe new is not really altogether new.  Not always.
Maybe new is new for today, new only to us, or new for just a season.
Maybe why something is new is more important than how.

What do I really know about New?
Maybe, Easter.

2 comments:

Molly said...

did you write that? it is really really good!!!!!!

Dave Weesner said...

I get this same question quite a bit regarding my writing. I did write this.
It is comepletly "new."